Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Indices of corruption perception

I was looking through the corruption perception index tables edited by Transparancy International for 3 consecutive years (2004 - 2006). So, what I was interested in was the variation of indices for Moldova. And the tendency looks quite good at first glance. In 2004 Moldova took position between 114 and 122 (of 147 countries listed). In 2005 it climbed up to position between 88 and 97 (of 159 countries listed). And this year Moldova holds the 79th position (of 163 countries in the list).

As you can see the indices of corruption perception has been improving year after year. And that's what the government likes to demonstrate: "Look, you see the results of our work. You see, how much we have done." But is it the real success of being the 79th in the world and having an index of 3.2 (when 10 is the best)? We want to become the EU members and still have 3.2 index.

But my question is nevertheless a bit different. Despite these indices evolution has the situation with corruption in Moldova really improved? I don't know the methodology that was used by Transparancy International. What I know from daily talks with my friends who are also lawyers is that perception of corruption between them (them who face judicial and other state authorities every day) hasn't changed at all...

PS. Well, however, these indices anyway look better than previous years. :)

2 Comments:

At Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:09:00 AM, Blogger Lucia said...

Hi Alexei,

Welcome to the bloggers' community! We should exchange links of our blogs.

I agree, these indices might look 'too good to be true' particularly if you look from the inside. However, I think there is some improvement indeed, at least in the PERCEPTION of corruption if not in the actual corruption, if you know what I mean :)

 
At Saturday, November 11, 2006 11:38:00 AM, Blogger Alexei Ghertescu said...

I think I've got your idea about perception of corruption :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home